MPSU is a non-profit organization representing Certified Peer Support Specialists in Michigan.
Our mission at MPSU is to support people with mental health diagnoses in their ongoing recovery efforts by promoting advocacy, education, and hope.
A peer support specialist is an individual in a journey of recovery who has a serious mental illness who is now receiving or has received services
from the public mental health system.
Because of their life experience, they provide expertise that
professional disciplines cannot replicate.
In 2017/18 MPSU partnered with University of Michigan on a grant to survey Certified Peer Support Specialists on job satisfaction, wages, financial fragility, among other items.
The final report of this survey is available for download.
The published paper from Psychiatryonline.com is available for download.
1. Certified Peer Specialists will maintain high standards of personal conduct in a manner that fosters Recovery
2. Certified Peer Specialists will practice and promote Person Centered Planning and Self-Determination with those they serve
3. Certified Peer Specialists will advocate for the full integration and/or re-integration of individuals into communities of their choice and will promote the value of these individuals in those communities. Certified Peer Support Specialists will be directed by the knowledge that all individuals have the right to live in a safe and the least restrictive environment
4. Certified Peer Specialists will actively pursue recovery in their own lives as well as role model recovery for others
5. Certified Peer Specialists will keep current with emerging knowledge relevant to recovery, and openly share this
knowledge with their colleagues and those they serve
6. Certified Peer Specialists will, when appropriate, openly share their recovery stories and be able to identify and describe the supports that promote their recovery
7. Certiied Peer Specialists will respect the privacy and confidentiality of those they serve
8. Certified Peer Specialists will, at all times, respect the rights and dignity of those they serve
9. Certified Peer Specialists will not practice, condone, facilitate, or collaborate in any form of discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, political belief, mental or physical disability, or any other preference or personal characteristic, condition, or state
10. Certified Peer Specialists will never intimidate, threaten, harass, use undue influence, physical force or verbal abuse, or make unwarranted promises of benefits to the individuals they serve
11. Certified Peer Specialists will never engage in sexual/intimate activities with the consumers they serve
12. Certified Peer Specialists will not exchange gifts of significant value with those they serve
13. Certified Peer Specialists will not abuse substances under any circumstances
MPSU's focus is to ensure services for all people with mental health diagnoses are easily attainable; to promote opportunities in employment; to advocate for CPSSs; and to educate our communities and society
MPSU began in July 2009 during a leadership training. Several CPSSs from around the state decided to form a non-profit advocacy group. This group knew that support was needed for CPSSs throughout the state as well as coming together as a united voice
Since that time MPSU has become involved in a variety of projects throughout the state to ensure Certified Peer Support Specialists voices are heard and it is known that we are a viable service and profession for our peers.